Kevin Costner Turned Chris Hemsworth Down for a Role, Cast Himself Instead

Forum 1 week ago

Kevin Costner Turned Chris Hemsworth Down for a Role, Cast Himself Instead

Chris Hemsworth once tried to convince Kevin Costner to give him a role in a movie directed by the Field of Dreams star; however, Costner turned Hemsworth down because he wanted to play the role himself.

Speaking with Entertainment Tonight, per Variety, Thor’s Hemsworth opened up about wanting to be cast in a movie that Costner was working on. Hemsworth didn’t say which movie he wanted to be cast in, specifically, but noted it was “abstract and interesting …a small story about a man and a woman.”

“There was a movie, a script that I’d read and loved and was like, ‘I want to get that,’ and then someone said, ‘Kevin Costner has that [role],’” Hemsworth said. “I’d love [to have] him as a director. I was like, ‘Goddamnit!’ [I spent] an hour the other day trying to convince him, and he was like, ‘I’m doing it, kid.’ Didn’t work. I didn’t get the part.”

He added, “It’s better seen in his wheelhouse for sure, as far as the kind of Western environment. There are horses involved, he’s a horse wrangler, and my wife read it and loves horses. We have 10 or 11 horses back home and so she’s like, ‘You’ve got to do this.’”

Kevin Costner responds to casting himself over Chris Hemsworth

In response, Costner told Entertainment Tonight that Hemsworth will have to “wait his turn.” He added, “As long as I’m still young enough to play it, I’ll play it.”

Costner did, however, say that Hemsworth is “so handsome and he’s so good. He’s going to have to go find his [own] love story. [But] I’m glad he likes this one. If I reach a moment where I [don’t] think I could do that, I would [reach out]. He’s certainly one of our great leading men right now.”

Costner will next be seen in Horizon: An American Saga — Chapter 1, a film releasing in June 2024 that he also directed. Hemsworth, meanwhile, is playing Dementus in George Miller’s Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, which opens in May 2024.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Yellowstone’s Luke Grimes Addresses Kevin Costner’s ‘Unfortunate’ Exit
Forum | 3 days ago

Yellowstone’s Luke Grimes Addresses Kevin Costner’s ‘Unfortunate’ Exit

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie
Forum | 3 days ago

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins
Forum | 3 days ago

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins